With two simple ingredients and a lusciously rich cream sauce, a comfort meal comes together without any fuss or much time. I thoroughly love this dish and find each time I take my first bite that I amazed with the flavor and mixture of textures.
Add a crisp glass of chardonnay, lovely company, and a baguette and an easy dinner at home turns into something quite wonderful.
Simply Decadent Rice (from Giada de Laurentiis)
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, divided, at room temperature
- 2 cups parboiled long-grain rice, such as Uncle Ben's
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat 1/2 of the butter over medium-low heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken stock and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and rest covered for 5 minutes.
2. In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes until aromatic. Add the shrimp, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Stir in the cream and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Using a fork, fluff the rice and arrange on a platter. Spoon the shrimp cream sauce over the rice and serve.
Key Things To Keep In Mind:
*Don’t shy away from using the hot sauce. I use Tabasco and it adds a richness that adds flavor without too much kick.
*Add a baguette to soak up the flavorful sauce.