As you might recall, I am a lover of the pasta dish Spaghetti alla Carbonara, so one day while I was watching Rachael Ray, she shared her recipe for Carbonara Pizza. I quickly took notes and gave the recipe a try the following weekend. And not surprisingly, Rachael had impressed my tastebuds again. Delicious! Not only does the recipe take very little time, but in a matter of 30-45 minutes, you will have a gourmet cheese pizza begging to be enjoyed.
Carbonara Pizza (adapted from a Rachael Ray recipe)
*extra virgin olive oil
*1/4 lb pancetta
*1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
*1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
*1 large clove garlic, grated
*2 large egg yolks, beaten
*1 1/2- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
*handful of flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat 450 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Roll out dough into a large, thin round or rectangular shape. Scatter cornmeal on pizza pan or pizza stone.
3. Drizzle dough with extra virgin olive oil and prick it with a fork in a few places.
4. Place in oven and partially bake for 7-8 minutes.
5. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet and heat on medium high heat. Cook pancetta until crisp – about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool. Brush the baked pizza crust with some of the grease from the pancetta to add a little bit of extra flavor.
6. Add beaten egg yolks, ricotta, Romano, grated garlic and black pepper to a bowl and stir to combine.
7. Spread the ricotta cheese mixture out over the pizza crust, then top with mozzarella cheese.
8. Scatter the reserved pancetta all over and bake 10-12 minutes or until crust is crisp and the cheese is evenly golden on top. Scatter parsley over the cooked pizza, cut into wedges and serve.
Before going into the oven:
Things To Keep In Mind:
*To save time and still produce an amazing pizza, buy your dough. I pick mine up at Papa Murphy’s and just ask them to hold the sauce and top with mozzarella (that way one ingredient is all ready to go).
*You can exchange bacon for pancetta.
*The fresher the ingredients, the better regarding the parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
*Feel free to top with freshly sliced tomatoes when you add the parsley.
*Just as tasty for a quick breakfast in the morning!
*For fantastic crispy crust, try using a pizza stone.
Images: (1-3) Simply Luxurious