February 15, 2011
Plush, Engaging & Delicious
A grand dining room table surrounded with beloved friends and captivating conversation. What could be a better way to spend an evening with people you haven’t seen or have been too busy to catch up with?
While I enjoy dinner parties, I don’t have them on a regular basis for a handful of reasons, but when I have the opportunity to invite people over, it turns into an evening that is hard to forget.
One idea that I am striving to incorporate into my dining room when I have the chance is to swap out my oak chairs for plush armchairs. In allowing guests to sink and truly feel comfortable in their place at the dinner table, they are less likely to leave too soon and instead allow the conversation to ebb into organically intriguing topics. Today I have gathered together some images that include just this scenario. But before you begin perusing the images, here are a few more tips to ensure an evening of great success and enjoyment for you and your guests:
1. Set the table the night before.
2. Buy the dessert or at least one of courses to ease your cooking time.
3. Plan a three course meal that is a winner.
4. Decide on something to celebrate
Celebratory dinners are always more lively and upbeat as there is a reason to partake in jovial behavior. It could be as simple as “It’s Friday!”, or “Welcome Spring!”. This sets the tone and paves the way for a festive and convivial evening.
5. Have corresponding background music. (jazz, classics, something that doesn’t steal the show, but makes everyone comfortable)
6. Have a bit of wine thirty minutes before your guests arrive to calm your nerves and allow yourself to relax.
7. Serve your guests a drink upon their arrival.
8. Create mini mingling areas throughout your home while your guests enjoy the appetizers, watch you cook or sip their after dinner drinks.
9. Place a low, yet seasonal bouquet of flowers, a cluster of candles or bowl of fruit as the centerpiece. (Great conversation starter if it’s a unique and appropriate arrangement.)
10. Upon the last guest leaving, sit down with your partner and enjoy a glass of something warm or enjoyable as you savor the lovely evening.
And for more ideas on how to throw a successful dinner party, click here.
*Click here to read Oprah’s article on The Perfect Summer Dinner Party Period.