(other berries are easily interchangeable)
yields: 4 crostatas
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick - chilled)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks (reserve 1 egg white for later)
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups fresh marionberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for placing on top of the crostatas just before they go into the oven
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Using a food processor or your hands make the pastry. First, cream together the butter and sugar. Then add egg yolks and incorporate. Followed by the flour. Roll into a ball, wrap in ceran wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes to an hour.
3. While waiting for the pastry to chill, mix together the filling and set aside to allow to the fruit to macerate.
4. After allotted time, remove the pastry dough and divide into 4 parts. Take out a baking sheet, line with parchment paper and spray with nonsticking spray. Roll out each of the 4 balls, place on the parchment, carefully drop about 2-3 tablespoons of filling into the center leaving an inch of dough surrounding the filling. You may use tartlet pans or free form it - either way works well. Fold the sides up like an envelope – they will go into one direction, partially laying on top of each other.
5. Place a few slices of the unsalted butter on top.
6. Using the remaining egg white and a pastry brush, brush the dough gently in order for it to brown beautifully while in the oven.
7. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Serve with ice cream or enjoy completely on its own.
Image: Simply Luxurious