A warm baguette. A glass of wine waiting. The need to put the week to bed.
One of my favorite treats to enjoy at the end of a busy work week is bruschetta topped with the classic combination of basil, tomato and mozzarella. Few ingredients, little effort and time, and an amazingly delicious appetizer. There are seemingly endless variations of this combo, but for me I like a little bread, warm, gooey cheese, a fresh tomato and the beautiful taste of basil – comfort food my friends!
Paired with a chilled glass of rosé (or your choice of wine), and I have forgotten all about my past week’s woes.
- French baguette – sliced on the bias
- tomatoes – your choice, heirlooms are my favorite, the fresher and in season the better
- fresh mozzarella – sliced
- extra virgin olive oil
- basil leaves – julienne sliced
- top quality balsamic vinegar (I use Gianni’s Traditional Balsamic Vinegar – click here to shop)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit).
2. Slice baguette, placing slices on a baking sheet/jelly roll pan. Drizzle EVOO over each slice. Place a slice of mozzarella on each.
3. Place baking sheet in the oven and watch carefully. It will take between 2-5 minutes. Remove when cheese has melted and is slightly bubbly and baguette is toasted.
4. Place one leaf of basil (or julienned slices) on top of the warm mozzarella, followed by a slice of tomato (or a tablespoon of diced pieces), and drizzle with thick balsamic vinegar (if you have store-bought vinegar that is very transparent, reduce it over medium heat to thicken up the consistency and improve the flavor). Voilà!