As January comes to a close, I have to admit, it has treated me well, and I hope it has been kind to you as well. Nothing grand or seemingly extraordinary has happened, but in fact, it is the ease, the slower pace and cozy comforts of this time of year that have made this first month of 2019 quite lovely.
As I have shared since this past fall each month a list of moments and events that have made me smile, I wanted to continue this series by sharing 12 things that made me smile during this month of January. Some of the moments, followers of TSLL on Instagram will recognize, but others are new.
I will admit, that writing this post is quickly becoming one of my favorite regular posts to write as it is a time when I find myself smiling all over again as I remember each of the memories listed below. It is my hope that your January had many moments in it which you found yourself smiling as well.
1.Outings in the snow to cross country ski, walk and explore with the boys
2. The most recent episode of Garance Doré’s podcast, Pardon My French, spoke to me most intimately as the guest Perla Servan-Schreiber speaks about knowing she didn’t want children, finding the love of her life in her early 40s and how society’s perspective on aging needs to shift to reflect the truth of the awesome opportunities.
3. Setting up my office anew in a different room in my cottage, complete with small updates that I will be showing in the next few months.
4. A newly compiled TSLL playlist of Just J.S. Bach compositions that has been the background in my classroom for the past week.
5. Celebrating Oscar’s 14th birthday with an entire day (okay, maybe a full weekend) doing what clearly brings him joy – bones, great food, a bit of a walk, napping and snuggling . . . oh, and then eating again 🙂 .
6. Adding a patiently waited for French compote to my kitchen decor, and since they were on sale at the end of the year, adding one more for the aromatic produce (onions, garlic, shallots). Shop more French and French-inspired compotes here.
7. Watching a film that I cannot recommend more highly (as shared in this week’s Petit Plaisir)
8. Hearing the excitement in my niece’s voice when she shared a great success she had achieved.
9. Seeing the fog lift and the sunlight break free, just in time to enjoy a walk along the river before the sun set beyond the horizon.
10. Bringing the first semester to a close and seeing great progress with students in a variety of ways.
11. Feeling fortunate to receive kind and just-because emails from readers and listeners as they share how the blog, podcast and/or books have made a positive difference in their lives. Thank you so much for taking the time.
12. Having taken a significantly different approach to my smart phone use and seeing my minutes and hours of weekly usage decrease to my delight. And upon reading this article in The New York Times this past weekend, I was encouraged to keep up my new habit.
~View next month’s posting – 10 Things That Made Me Smile This Month, So Far . . . (February 2019)
~SIMILAR POSTS FROM THE ARCHIVES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
~20 Things That Made Me Smile This Week, August 2018
~10 Things That Made Me Smile This Week, September 2018
~10 Things That Made Me Smile This Month, So Far . . ., October 2018
~13 Things That Made Me Smile This Month, So Far . . . , December 2018