“Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.”
– Hamilton Wright Mabie
The holidays of Thanksgiving, Hanukah, Christmas and New Year’s will officially begin this week, and I am giddy for it all to unfold. As a child I never thought that I could love this time of year as much when I became an adult, but I must admit I love it far more than I could have ever grasped as a young tike. The sentiment, the shift in energy and the opportunity for celebration, gathering and thanksgiving are the wondrous gifts that this time of year bestows. And while all of these qualities can and do occur year round, for some reason, there is a bit of magic that infiltrates everything and everywhere one goes.
Today, I wanted to share with you a list of simply luxurious things I love to indulge in, listen to, partake in and look forward to throughout this festive time of year. After you read through, please join the conversation and share what you look forward to most as we all begin to enjoy the many treasures these next five weeks will bring.
1. a crackling, cozy fire in the fireplace
2. decadent hot chocolate topped with homemade whipped cream
3. a simple designer dress for holiday soirees – simple to change the accessories for each occasion your holiday schedule includes
4. Thanksgiving’s gift of allowing us to focus on gratitude rather than things
5. hanging a fresh cedar bough wreath and garland on the front porch
6. a nibble or two of homemade fudge
7. New York City’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade
8. opening the closet to a pile of warm cashmere sweaters in classic colors and designs
9. picking out the perfect holiday cards to send to friends
10. watching classic holiday films – It’s a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, A Christmas Story
11. shopping for experiences to give as gifts rather than things
12. taking a walk as the sun rises after a night of freshly fallen snow
13. Listening to Louis Armstrong’s Cool Yule
14. hanging monogrammed stockings on the mantle for all members of the family – pets too!
15. shopping at local boutiques as much as possible for one-of-a-kind gifts and treasures
16. donating time and/or money to charities dear to your heart
17. planning and hosting small intimate soirees for friends and family – a gourmet, yet simple spread so the hostess and the guests can enjoy the festive gathering
18. the annual hunt for the perfect tree
19. scooping up coveted treasures at amazingly low prices
20. pulling on pajamas that are as warm and comfortable as they are stylish
21. gazing at creative and festive store front windows
22. a chance to reflect on the amazement that was your year in 2013
23. the subtle touches of sparkle in your wardrobe
24. A Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack filling the house
25. ice skating with the family
26. watching the dogs frolick in the snow
27. endless scarves to choose from
28. city streets lined with white lights
29. Almond Roca from Brandini Toffee
30. wrapping gifts with beautiful ribbon and care
31. gingerbread men
~click here for the recipe and instructions on how to create your own gingerbread men garland~
32. peppermint gelato from Colville Street Patisserie
33. Christmas morning’s magic – warm, fresh pastries, crispy bacon, hot tea and coffee and enjoying the roar of the fire as each person in the household wakes in their own time.
34. an opportunity for a fresh start.
Happy Holidays everyone!
~JOIN THE CONVERSATION! Share in the comments or on TSLL Facebook page your favorite holiday activities, traditions and treats that you most enjoy.