The evening ritual of easing into bed, with an hour or so to unwind before falling asleep is something I look forward to each night.
The decor detail that needs to be thoughtfully tended to to enable this comfort, but also a beckoning sleep sanctuary, is the bedside table (aka the nightstand, etc.).
In a remodeled Washington D.C. home by interior designer Darryl Carter, it was their bed-side table that caught my eye (the rest of the home is worth tourings as well). There isn’t anything especially unique about it, but it is the character of the English chest of drawers, the ample tabletop for a lamp, a vase of flowers, glass drinking bottle as well as books without creating a cramped space that was, well, for lack of a better word, perfect.
As I share in my new book, daily rituals and routines you look forward to simply, but dependably, elevate the everydays. So when it comes to what I love to find on my bed-side table each night, I thought I’d share a list below. I would love to hear what you include that makes the evening all the sweeter.
- a matching or statment-making pair of lamps on either side for balance
- a handful of books in a variety of genres to suit whatever mood I might find myself at the end of any given day (currently: Becoming, We’ve Always Had Paris . . . and Provence, The Case Against Sugar, and Julia Child’s Kitchen).
- evening glasses after the contacts are removed from my tired eyes
- a glass of cold water
- a candle (my favorites are shared here in TSLL Shop)
- a small vase of flowers
- a journal
- lip balm
- French hand lotion or this well-known fine-lavender hand lotion
- and I do have my iPad as well for listening to classical music to fall asleep to as well as wake up to
Do I have fresh flowers every night throughout the week? No, but I do make a habit of trying to have them in the bedroom as often as possible. Sometimes my candle needs replacing and sometimes my book stack is low, but I have discovered what makes me feel welcomed to bed, to begin to unwind, to begin to relax and to begin to step into a stress-free moment of my everyday life that is a true comfort and helps to cultivate a restful night’s sleep.