Simple, delicious and seasonal. Somehow, this always leads me to some detail of the recipe that is inspired from the French culinary world, and the recipe showcased in the final episode of Season 1 is no different.
Having heard the term clafoutis many years before, it certainly was something that caught my ear, but for quite some time I had never attempted to make one. As someone who wasn’t a fan of cherries (I have since changed my mind as I have enjoyed more and more freshly picked cherries), the only context I would see a clafoutis was with cherries. For whatever reason, it never crossed my mind to substitute any fruit I preferred and make the same dessert.
And then I came across Daniel Rose’s recipe as shared a few years ago with Ina Garten. Daniel Love is the acclaimed American-born, Paris-based chef who attracted the attention of the Michelin guide soon after opening his restaurant Spring in 2006. The restaurant remained open for 10 years until they shut it down, and now he has opened the restaurant named Le Coucou also located in Paris. Needless to say, when I saw that this curious dessert of a dish could be made without cherries and with the subtle sweet flavor of pears, I paid close attention.
I have adjusted the recipe slightly after having made it more than a few times to suit my tastes, but the beauty is, as you will see and hear in the video, there are many flavor changes you too can make to suit your preferences. Ultimately, it is a simple dessert that offers an abundance of flavor and is perfect for a dinner party as it puffs up slightly like a souffle without the fuss, and has the sweet and bit of sugar without the heaviness ideal for concluding a delicious evening. Now to the episode!
Be sure to check out Chapter 12 of TSLL’s new book Living The Simply Luxurious Life: Making Your Everydays Extraordinary and Discovering Your Best Self where you’ll discover all of the tips shared in Season 1 as well as many more for making your time in the kitchen enjoyable as well as what to stock your kitchen with to be prepared to make anything no matter what the season, how to build a capsule menu and much more.
~View all of the Episode of The Simply Luxurious Kitchen here.
Links from the Episode:
- Full recipe for Pear Clafoutis (Clafoutis aux Poires)
- Discover the 34 must-Have Items to Stock Your épicerie (pantry) with to ensure you can prepare any meal no matter what the season.
- Shop TSLL Kitchen Store to find the items used in this episode and many more (below are the items from this episode)
- View TSLL’s spotlight post of France’s outdoor food markets
- KitchenAid mixer
~Cook & Share! I would love to share your Simply Luxurious Kitchen inspired experiences from your kitchen! Tag me on Instagram with @thesimplyluxuriouslife #tslkitchen and your post could appear on my Instagram feed.
The Episodes of Season 1
- Episode #1 – Sole Meunière & A Classic French Meal
- Episode #2 – A Strawberry Rhubarb Tart
- Episode #3 – My Morning Breakfast & More Morning Meal Ideas
- Episode #4 – 6 Ways to Add Flavor to Everyday Meals, Patricia Wells’ Inspired
- Episode #5 – A French Omelette
- Episode #6 – Caprese Appetizers 3 Ways & Knife Skills
- Episode #7 – Salmon w/French Lentils & a Rustic Apple Tart
- Episode #8 – A Simple French Fall Dessert – Clafoutis aux Poires
~Order a signed copy of TSLL’s 2nd book Living The Simply Luxurious Life: Making Your Everydays Extraordinary and Discover Your Best Self here or pick up a copy on Amazon (place preorders through November 12th).