“The universe wanted you to celebrate and appreciate your life so every year she gave you a birthday.” -Debasish Mridha
Each year as my birthday arrives, I feel most fortunate. No matter where or how I am planning on spending it (it is often simple and intimate), I take the time to celebrate the year that was as well as the future ahead of me and where I wish to go, but most importantly, savor the day that comes but once a year.
As the blog has become part of my life, it has also offered an opportunity to share what I have discovered. And while I may not go into the long story that led to the lesson (although, sometimes there is a link to a more detailed post), it is the exercise of reflection that makes me appreciate the journey to arrive at this day all the more deeply and fondly.
Each of us on our birthday will celebrate in our own unique way, much as we design our own unique simply luxurious life, and that is an amazing gift we can give ourselves. So whether you gather with many friends and members of your family, toast high and loud with a spectacular glass of Champagne, take a special trip or dine out on the town with your love and/or family or whether you stay in and revel with your partner the good fortunate life has bestowed upon you regardless of what the outside world sees, may we all make our birthdays a very special occasion indeed.
Below are 15 lessons I had the opportunity learn this past year, and while experiencing some of them, I was not smiling from ear to ear, I am fondly and greatly appreciative for the life lessons they gave to me that will never be forgotten as I apply it forward into my 39th year.
1. Having a morning routine I look forward to each day is akin to waking up to see what Santa brought me as a child on December 25th. I exaggerate not at all.
4. Quality beauty products are worth the investment
5. Often the biggest challenges we face, the seemingly impossible obstacles to surpass, are the last hurdle before you reach the summit. Keep striving forward. (Check out this post and this post for more motivation on this truth.)
6. Seek a partner for life’s journey, rather than a soul mate, but be thankful for the soul mates met along the way.
7. Seek out experts in their field. Converse with more than one to come to understand who would be the best fit for what you are seeking to accomplish.
8. Speak up. If someone has hurt you, if a behavior causes you pain, and especially if the individual isn’t aware, say something. If they truly love you and understand your pain to be real, they will listen and change even if they do not entirely understand.
9. However, if you speak up about how you have been hurt and they do not change, make one more attempt. If they still do not change, and do not validate your pain, let go. Walk away.
10. Once you see a purpose and feel it in your bones to be part of the essence that you are, letting go or sacrificing what does not serve your journey regarding that purpose will be simple and nearly effortless. (Read these three posts – one, two and three – for more motivation on this topic.)
11. I actually CAN meditate every day, and it does make a significant, positive difference in my attitude throughout the day.
12. My evening routine is simple, but designed to bring tranquil closure to each day. Each day, no matter how magnificent, I eagerly look forward to unwinding with my cup of tea, chocolate truffle, a good book, from time to time a show I have taped, and the boys snuggling at my side.
13. Doing the work of putting my financial future in order is a priceless comfort.
14. Taking what seem to be big risks as viewed through each of our lenses are exactly the risks we individually need to take because they are what we are innately passionate about. They are what will feed us, and the fact that the risk seems so great is due to how significantly we unconsciously understand our lives may change if we attain what we seek. In short, strive forward and bask in the amazing reality that could be yours.
15. There are more good, amazing, talented, accepting and loving people in this world than we realize, and you, TSLL readers, are each one of them. Thank you for your time, for your passion for unearthing your most amazing self and for having the courage to recognize you have amazing gifts that only you can share with the world.
Have a beautiful Wednesday and thank you for stopping by to share a moment with me here on TSLL blog. Bonne journée!
~Past BIRTHDAY posts from the Archives:
~A simpler approach this year – lists, not sure why the shift happened (2015)
~Appreciative & Exhilarated (2014)
~A Work in Progress (2013)
~33 Lessons Learned (2012)
~A Simply Luxurious Year(2010)